Search
Close this search box.

#DumsorMustStop vigil: Injunction withdrawn from court

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email

The Accra High Court has deemed an injunction application unnecessary, which sought to bar the #DumsorMustStop vigil organisers from assembling at Revolution Square, facing the Jubilee House.

This decision followed the revelation that the organisers had already altered their meeting point and march route.

Previously, the conveners had a disagreement with the Greater Accra Regional Police Command over the protest’s starting location.

Subsequently, the police sought an injunction, citing the proximity of the proposed location to a security facility.

However, on Friday, May 24, the injunction was retracted in court, reflecting the changes made to the protest’s location.

Selorm Dramani Dzramado, a lead organiser, informed the press that the venue change aligns with the stipulations of the Public Order Act.

“We told the public why we chose the Revolution Square because it holds a certain historical significance and its proximity to the Presidency so the police insistence on us changing the venue, we complied with Article 41(i) of the Constitution which says that the citizens of Ghana must always cooperate with the lawful agencies in the maintenance of law and order to write a letter to the police to announce the change of venue and date.”

He added that the court is yet to give the green light for the vigil and that “there is going to be a meeting with the police and so this thing [processes for the vigil] is going to start afresh.”

Share this post :

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Telegram
Email